Thursday, October 8, 2009

RE: RE: Independent Women, Throw Your Hands Up?

Annie,

I just laughed out loud at that article you sent me by Katha Pollitt. It starts, "Am I happy? What a stupid question," and keeps getting better. It really ends up being a list of all the flaws in the survey, the commentary by the writers I had mentioned, and Marcus Buckingham's slightly sleazy capitalization on women's "unhappiness."

In any case, I appreciate your honesty about happiness in your own life. I would describe my desire as being not for happiness, but for fullness. And I believe, too, that this fullness arises less out of more perfect circumstances and more out of my ability to be aware and appreciate. But I also don't feel right supposing that, therefore, my 'happiness' (whatever that means!) is totally independent of my social and political status. So, the question, which you've already suggested but I'll point to again is: What is feminism for?

No comments:

Post a Comment